BFI FILM ACADEMY
Free filmmaking Course for 16-19's*
*(or up to 25yrs with an EHCP)
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR OUR 2023-24 COURSE
The BFI Film Academy is an intensive short course of practical development programme for 20 young people aged 16-19yrs* from the British Film Institute, created to train you in how to make films through professional mentoring!
*Open to those up to 25yrs with an Education, Health & Care Plan. A copy will need to be provided for records.
Watch the videos below to find out more about all the ways being part of the BFI Film Academy can benefit you!
What participants have said:
WHY APPLY TO THE BFI FILM ACADEMY?
- After 13 years of tracking, participants who do the BFI Film Academy find themselves in the roles / careers they want faster after a university education than those who don’t
- You get a qualification that meets industry needs: NCFE Level 2: Preparing to Work in the Film Industry
- It’s designed to work around / supports traditional education & is vital extra experience
- You get a realistic experience of being on set as part of a full crew & are mentored by experienced industry professionals
- You get access to opportunities that are ONLY open to BFI Film Academy graduates (specialist courses, professional mentors, workshops, networking opportunities, & more!)
- You’ll make the next (likely award-winning) short film that will be screened around the world
- It’s lots of fun & you get to meet other young filmmakers!
Don't be put off by the distance or circumstances - bursary support will be available
2023-24 will be the 12th year Signal Film & Media have delivered this programme & it’s open to everyone in Cumbria & North Lancashire not already enrolled at university. We’re also the only place who does so outside of a major UK city!
WHAT TO EXPECT ON THE COURSE
- It’s an intensive filmmaking course for all levels – no previous experience is necessary, just a passion for film
- Workshop sessions are either weekly & during evenings or full days on half terms and some weekends. It is a 3-month commitment, but SO worthwhile!
- You’ll create a blog to document all your experiences to get an NCFE Level 2 qualification – great evidence for UCAS applications
- Experience a short film production like the professionals working in the industry – and create a fantastic short film with high production values
23rd Oct 23- 10-5pm (masterclasses)
24th Oct 23- 10-5pm (masterclasses)
26th Oct 23- 10-5pm (masterclasses)
27th Oct 23- 10-5pm (masterclasses)
8th Nov 23- 6-7.30pm
15th Nov 23- 6-7.30pm
22nd Nov 23- 6-7.30pm
28th Nov 23- 6-7.30pm
30th Nov 23- 6-7.30pm
2nd Dec 23- 10-5pm (shoot prep)
3rd Dec 23- 10-5pm (shoot prep)
6th Dec 23- 6-7.30pm
9th Dec 23- 10-5pm (shoot)
10th Dec 23- 10-5pm (shoot)
13th Dec 23- 6-7.30pm
2nd/3rd Jan 24- 6-7.30pm
9th/10th Jan 24- 6-7.30pm
16th/17th Jan 24- 6-7.30pm
23rd/24th Jan 24- 6-7.30pm
DID YOU KNOW:
- A quarter of all films IN THE WORLD produced in 2018 were made in the UK! Combined with our social media habits, the UK’s booming film industry is rapidly growing and desperately needs new talent!
- The BFI expects 30,000 new jobs to be created over the next 5-10 years and wants more diverse voices – especially outside of London!
- There are SO MANY types of jobs available beyond the ones you might guess: from carpenters & electricians to lawyers & promoters!
“Many participants use their BFI Academy experience and references to secure university places and to get jobs in the film industry. Film is one of the big success stories in the British economy at present, and we want to make sure young people from our neck of the woods have a chance to see how it can be a viable and exciting career opportunity.”
– Signal Film & Media
Co-Director, Kerry Kolbe